The solution introduced on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway is a multi- tiered processing ability so as to accommodate the motorists and the processing speeds ensuring little to no queuing at the Toll Plazas. The acceptance of cash and the introduction of the following cash-less (Electronic Media to pay Toll) transaction will enable this to be achieved.
What is a Smart Tag?
The Smart Tag allows a motorist to travel non-stop through the toll plaza. It is an electronic device the size of a computer mouse which is installed in the windscreen behind the rear view mirror of your vehicle. It is charged with the denomination of your choice and has the capability of interacting with sensors placed at the toll gates. Which means that all you have to do is to slow down to 20 Km/hr (you don't have to stop) near the toll gates, the sensor at the gates interact with your Smart Tag, the transaction is recorded and the toll deducted, you hear a confirmation beep inside your car and you're off. All of this takes less than a second and is extremely convenient to commuters and the best way to do away with waiting periods at the toll gates. Smart tag works like a debit card, it has no expiry and you can use it till you keep re-charging the amount in your account. Designated lanes for Smart Tag holders have been created to ensure a seamless drive through.
The technical specifications for the Smart Tag may be viewed here. (.PDF file, 96.4 KB)
Who can use the Smart Tag?
Any person may apply for a smart tag device who travels on the NH-8. This could include:
Motorists who wish to avoid the queue
- Local residents and local commercial traffic (LMV ONLY for Non Stop)
How to apply for a Smart Tag?
All you need is a copy of the registration Certificate of your vehicle and you can register for the Smart Tag at the following locations as per your convenience:
1. Point of Sale Office at the KM 24 Toll Plaza at the Delhi-Gurgaon Border
2. Point of Sale Office at the KM 42 Toll Plaza near Haldiram on NH 8
3. Point of Sale Office at IGI Airport Toll Plaza
Important Information to bear in mind:
• Tag users are required to proceed only after observing green traffic signal.
• Tag users are required to maintain approx. 2 car length distance while crossing toll gate.
• Speed of the vehicle should not be more than 15 km while crossing the toll gate.
• Tag is not an authority to move freely without following traffic rules. Being electronic item there can be instances when the system doesn’t work.
• Don’t move on hearing the beep sound coming out of tag. Look out for a green Traffic light only
• Company shall not be responsible for any damage to wind screen/vehicle if above instructions are not followed.
• Each vehicle will be required to have its own Smart-Tag. If anyone tries to tamper the device, a tamper switch which is monitored by the system and will result in hot-listing of the account.
• If there is any problem in the Smart-tag, the consumer should visit the POS and get the Smart-tag checked. It will be replaced if it has not been tampered with.
• For commercial vehicles, MCD payments will form part of the contract.
• Speed limits in a nonstop Smart Tag lane must be not more than 15 Km/h for the safety of commuters.
• The same Smart-tag can be used at all the three toll plazas on the Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway, this Smart-tag can’t be used on any other toll road across the country as DG Expressway is the only toll road in India which offers Smart-tag technology.
• For any accounts query the customer will have to visit any of the three toll plazas.
• In case the customer changes his/her vehicle or changes the existing fleet, change in particulars need to be filled in, which would then be available at all the three toll plazas to avoid any inconvenience.
• If the Smart-tag is lost or stolen, the customer should report it to the Point of Sale in writing. The customer will be held responsible for any loss from the use that Smart-tag for 48 hours after the loss has been reported in writing.
Failures of a Smart-tag
If for some reason the Smart-tag malfunctions and fails to open the boom, it’s advisable not to reverse the vehicle, as a cashier will assist the commuter in getting out of the lane. Even if the Smart-tag does not function normally, DSC retains the right to collect the toll tariff for the transit and the account will be manually adjusted.
Reasons for e-tag failures could be:
I. Handheld Smart-tags: One of the most common reasons for a Smart-tag malfunction is a road user not installing the device to their windscreen but holding it as they approach the toll plaza. The Smart-tag antenna requires the device to be in a certain position and angle
II. Invalid card: If the card to which the Smart-Tag is linked is no longer valid the Smart-tag will not function as system automatically checks the validity of the linked card, before opening the boom.